About the Art: Jellies Too

Update 2017/05/21: Changed post title from “New Art: Jellies Too” to “About the Art: Jellies Too”

Here’s a new artwork I’d like to show you.

This is called Jellies Too. I’ve drawn jellyfish before, and in fact this artwork spawned the other one. Here’s the story:

Last summer I was hanging out at Hubby’s aunt and uncle’s bungalow out on the Mira. It’s a really gorgeous place, just so inspiring. I so love being out there. Being surrounded by water and green just puts me at peace, and I get this zen I-want-to-express-everything kind of feeling. It’s hard to explain, but greenery always does that to me.

Anyhow, when hanging out with people I’m often not far from a sketchbook or drawing pad, and this day I was drawing jellies while sitting around the table hanging out with family.

I finished the drawing that afternoon, and when I got home that night, I colored in the bodies of the jellies with Sharpies. While sometimes marker strokes can be used for effect, I didn’t want them at all, so I applied the color heavily to make solid color areas. I soulprinted over top of the color in one jelly body, but I really didn’t like the results. The color was too dark and I couldn’t see the soulprinting. So, I drew another set of jellies on another sheet of paper to use a different coloring method and that work eventually became Jellies. And the first work, the work that inspired Jellies, sat around unfinished for months.

The other day I realized that piece was leaving an unfinished energy around, and who needs that? It’s better to finish it and let it be whatever it will be. So, I decided to finish it. I filled in the rest of the soulprinting, so at this point the jelly bodies were in color with soulprinting and the tentacles were left clear, just the outline. I definitely wasn’t happy with how the soulprinting wasn’t very visible, but I figured someone else might like the bold colors.

But then I thought about it a bit and realized what I didn’t like was that there was such a discrepancy between the heavily tinted bodies and the completely colorless tentacles. So, using a different set of markers, I colored in the tentacles with a similar but lighter color, and BAM! it was done. Even with not being able to see the soulprinting very well, I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. {:

NB: I do my best to make the scanned image look as close as possible to the original, but really, it just looks so much better in person.

Let's connect!

Thank you for commenting. Your email address will not be published. Comments are moderated to prevent spam.